Wednesday, October 30, 2013


This is the mathematical symbol for infinity.  But today I am going to use it in a metaphorical context.  Today is October 30, 2013, and we are now 5 days from the 1-year anniversary of the passing of my grandfather, Grandpa Tink.  This was probably the toughest personal loss I had had to deal with in my life at that point in time (I have been a very lucky guy, to say the least).  It was pretty sudden and hit my family very hard.  Almost everyone in my family, including all my sisters and my parents, were going through chaotic times personally when this happened.  Growing up my family saw my Grandpa Tink and Grandma Phyllis all the time.  They have lived in Alliance, OH (outside Canton) for my entire life and since Alliance was just about 2 hours from Columbus, we saw them for most holidays, graduations, and other family events.  When they started spending winters down in The Villages, FL we had a big party to celebrate their 50th anniversary.  It was so much fun and great to see all our relatives.  So to get back to the math symbol - I thought of this metaphor today as I was reflecting on my grandfather’s passing, knowing the anniversary is next week.  I always remind people who need consoling that being raised a Christian makes it so much easier to cope and understand the loss of life because it is only a loss for those still on Earth.  As Christians we are granted eternal life in heaven.  And knowing that life goes on beyond our physical world (hence, infinity) provides comfort in a time of grief.

Me, Gma Phyllis and Gpa Tink - Christmas 1987
 
 
Me and Gpa Tink - Christmas 1987
 
Some of you may be familiar with the phrase “when it rains, it pours,” and the past year has definitely proven this a valid claim.  At the beginning of this year my other grandfather, Grandpa Pete, was diagnosed with a very rare form of cancer.  Given how developed it was, the treatment was just not enough and he also passed quite suddenly, in July.  It was almost four months ago now and then just as before I kept reminding myself that I am so glad I was raised in a family of Christian faith.  Yes, there were tears and sadness.  But for anyone who knew Grandpa Pete, they know that a life like his should be celebrated, if not documented as a classic case of living the American dream.  The numbers are now fuzzy, but I can say pretty assuredly that he was a PROUD grandfather of over 30, and great grandfather of over 20.  As with Grandpa Tink’s passing, having a large family made this difficult time a bit more bearable. 

Gma Shirley and Gpa Pete - Christmas 1990
 
As I look back and reflect on two of the most difficult times in my life – watching both of my parents lose their father – I remind myself that life does not end.  Sure, our bodies are laid to rest.  But we live on in a spiritual, heavenly existence. 
The best family a guy could ask for! - Christmas 2007
 

1 comment:

  1. VERY well written, Heffe. A beautiful tribute and a nice reminder to have faith.

    ReplyDelete