Saturday, October 19, 2013

26.2


In high school I ran cross country.  One reason was that my parents insisted I participate in a sport and this was one of the few that did not cut athletes – I could run in every race every week.  The second reason was that I really enjoyed how running made me feel.  I like that running is a “full-body” workout in the sense that you use so many muscles to complete the motion.  My love of running held throughout college and after college I decided to train for my first half-marathon.  After I finished that race I felt so empowered and so I kept trying to extend my distance.  In 2009 I completed my first marathon with my sister Aileen in Chicago.  We both struggled through the training but a combination of physical and mental perseverance, having a good partner the whole race, and ideal running weather helped us finish all 26.2 miles without walking.  After that I also ran marathons in Nashville (2010), San Antonio (2010), and Cleveland (2012).  My fiancé Anissa’s first marathon was in Cleveland and we ran together.  Again, having a good partner the whole race was crucial.  The heat index was in the mid-80s and it was the most physically challenging race I’ve ever run.  Now that I am back in school I have had to give up a lot of the time I would otherwise spend running.  And I miss it a lot.  One of the things I love most about running is that it keeps me grounded.  It is quality time alone with my own thoughts.  I always find such clarity of mind when I am running.  It calms me down, it makes me feel physically great, and it uplifts me emotionally. 

10/11/09 - Chicago Marathon - Me and Aileen

5/20/12 - Cleveland Marathon - Me and Anissa
 
So what about 26.2?  As I am sure you all know 26.2 is the number of miles in a marathon.  But let’s dig a little deeper.  To me it represents a sense of personal accomplishment.  It represents a sense of pride.  It also represents inspiration.  I like knowing that my running helps others realize they can do the same.  It makes me feel so great to see other people get into running, especially when they realize the same value that I find in running.  But as a runner, I love being constantly inspired by others.  By the runners who run in memory of lost loved ones.  By the runners who run to celebrate overcoming a major obstacle in their lives.  By the runners who run to have fun and feel great.  I will never forget one particular runner.  My sister Aileen and I were running a half-marathon in Chicago in August one summer (bad idea – SO HOT!).  At one point I was feeling sorry for myself, regretting my meals the prior day and lamenting the oppressive heat and lack of shade on the course.  And then I see a blind runner.  Yes, he was completely blind and running a half-marathon.  And that was when I first truly realized how inspiring all the other runners in the race can be. 

Now that I am taking a break from races I still love to go watch them.  Because it’s so great to read the t-shirts, see the determination, and cheer for strangers.  Tomorrow, Anissa will be running her second full marathon in Columbus.  She has trained like a crazy woman and I really admire her determination.  The weather forecast for tomorrow could not be better – I know she will tear it up and I cannot wait to watch!  Best of luck and congrats to all the other runners as well!  

So cheers to 26.2.  Pride.  Perseverance.  Inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment