Sunday, August 10, 2014

Honeymoon and Reading


Honeymoon and Reading

Well it’s been almost a month since my last post, which was the day before my wedding.  Everything went so perfectly the day I married Anissa; we couldn’t have dreamed of anything better!  This post will give you a little insight into the honeymoon, but I’ll do a full “wedding by the numbers” post later this month. 

For the honeymoon, we first went to Disney World in Orlando, FL.  We ran ourselves ragged for 3 days and nights (and by ragged I mean the first day consisted of almost 18 straight hours in the parks).  After Disney, we left for Cancun where we stayed at Secrets Maroma Beach in Riviera Maya.  It was the perfect sequel to our honeymoon – seven days of sun on the beach.  It never rained a single drop the whole time we were in Mexico – talk about luck!  While in Mexico, Anissa and I decided we wanted to stay at the pool or the beach and not do any of the excursions like kayaking, snorkeling, etc.  And we did just that! 




During our lazy days poolside and beachside, I rediscovered how much I love to read.  A few years back Anissa bought me a kindle and I started to read a lot (I’ve never really been a reader).  Then I had a year or so hiatus from reading with school reading dominating my life.  To have time to read on the honeymoon was so nice.  So here are some fast numbers on what I read:

·         I read 2 books - “Match Made in Heaven” by Robert Mitchell and “The First Phone Call from Heaven” by Mitch Albom.  I realized the last book I read before these was “Heaven in For Real” and it made me realize I might have a subconscious obsession #heaven

·         My favorite part about the Kindle is that is shows you how far along you are in percentage terms.  It gives me a great sense of accomplishment every time I look at it.  However, it deters me from reading long books because I hate reading 4 pages and not seeing my % complete go up.

·         I started 3 other books, but stopped reading them because they didn’t move fast enough for me.  I tend to like non-fiction or meaning-of-life/moral-of-the-story fiction (like anything written by Mitch Albom) and those tend to be on the shorter side. 

·         I am a slow reader – I used to try to pace myself at 1 page every 60 seconds.  Then I realized I wasn’t able to sustain that and really read everything.  Plus, I tend to go back a reread certain portions of the book and that slows me down. 

School starts back in 2 weeks so we’ll see if I can squeeze in another book before I start school reading.  Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment