Saturday, September 13, 2014

Oldies Tribute


10 Songs in Under 30 Minutes

Get ready for a journey back in time!  Friday at work I spent a lot of time listening to music on Pandora.  Unsure of what I was in the mood for, I kept changing my station.  Finally I landed on an Oldies station and it kept me happy all afternoon.  So here’s a confession – I love Oldies.  I am talking 1950s-1970s Oldies.  As I was listening to the station, I kept getting disappointed with how short the songs all were.  Fortunately, there is so much good music in that genre that I was always excited to hear what was next.  So I thought I’d share some of the great Oldies that came up, 10 songs that can be listened to in less than 30 minutes.

1.       Sugar, Sugar – The Archies – This is one of my favorites!

2.       Earth Angel – The Temptations (is that the correct original artist?)

3.       Dream Lover – Bobby Darin

4.       Walk Like a Man – The Four Seasons – This reminded me of going to see Jersey Boys with Anissa and her family a couple years ago.  What a treat – such an amazing show!

5.       The Twist – Chubby Checker

6.       The Loco-Motion – Little Eva – Just a funny song!

7.       Yakety Yak – The Coasters – This takes me back to when I was a little kid living in Cleveland.  I remember cruising with my sisters and Aunt Shelley in her Astro Van and rocking out to this song and Jerry Lee Lewis’ Great Balls of Fire.  Some of my fondest memories of living in Cleveland.

8.       All I Have to Do is Dream – Everly Brothers – I have a random connection with this song.  My sisters were obsessed with the movie Lady Bugs and I am pretty sure this song is in there.  Every time I hear it I think of that terrible movie.

9.       Be My Baby – The Ronettes – I don’t know why I do, but I love this song.  A great example of that Oldies sound I love.

10.   In the Still of the Night – The Five Satins –We sang this song one year in high school choir and I have enjoyed it ever since.  So great!

Not a comprehensive list, but some great tunes and a great way to get through a Friday afternoon after a long week.

No comments:

Post a Comment