Saturday, October 4, 2014


5 Things I Take for Granted

The last several weeks have been very hectic for me.  I have been struggling to get everything done without rushing through or forgetting things; at the same time, I know I need to allow myself the luxury of slowing down and relaxing once in a while.  In an effort to shift my mindset, this week I tried to think through a few things I take for granted, and to recognize some positive things I often look past.

1.       Recently my cruise control button in my car broke.  I didn’t realize how much I relied on it until it was gone.  Now that it’s back, I am so thankful to have that feature in my car.  Given that I spend 2+ hours in my car on school days, it’s nice to be able to take the foot off the gas once in a while.  I also forgot how hard it can be to maintain a consistent speed without that feature.

2.       Until this weekend, we haven’t really had much rain for a while.  And that means the grass isn’t growing and therefore doesn’t need mowed.  With lots of weekend commitments in September and October, this is a real blessing.  Thanks for the extra 45 minutes every Saturday Mother Nature!

3.       I had a few appointments this month that made me so thankful for early or late hours.  I was able to get to the dentist, car shop (twice), and get a consultation on my gutters without shortening my work day.  Thank goodness for flexibility in scheduling and extended service hours!

4.       One of my classes this week let out about 30 minutes early.  I was able to get home earlier than expected and actually made it to the gym that night.  This NEVER happens on school days when I usually leave the house at 7am for work and get home from class at 10pm.  I am definitely grateful for any chance to sneak in even a 20 minute workout.

5.       Sometimes I fail to appreciate how great it is to have a job that accommodates a demanding class schedule.  In hindsight, I am pretty lucky to have a team that supports me and understands why this degree is worth pursuing.  I see what other students go through and I have it pretty good J

No comments:

Post a Comment